Thursday, September 15, 2005

A road of Destiny...

"Destiny Fulfilled".The break up is inevitable. I could have guessed it since they made a comeback after a 3 years hiatus.

Looking back, I consider myself a 5 years old fan of the turning legendary best selling girl group of all time, Destiny's Child. Back in year 2000, it was their single called the "Independent Woman Part 1"(featured in the film Charlie's Angels) that grabbed my attention to the 3 beauties. But, that wasn't my first exposure to DC...

A few years before that, while the infamous Spice Girls were a hit, I wasn't into any other girl groups at all. Not even the TLC. One day, while hanging out at my friend's house, we spent a little time together watching the TV. At that time, ASTRO was new to me, not to mention MTV as well. Various videos were played... I don't remember any of them, except for the video where 4 female singers were singing by the street. Made up of Beyonce, Kelly and 2 other members whose names are unimportant to me, Destiny's Child's "Bug-A-Boo" was on MTV. Guess what, the dope me actually criticised their video for being messy, amateur and boring. I just have to admit that I was way too wrong.

Okay, now let's fly to year 2000 again. "Independent Woman Part 1" was a hit globally. It did hit #1 in many charts as far as I could remember. The single was so popular that I sang it every now and then back in class 1G. That nostalgia was shared with Amanda and Jia Yi, although I personally think that they are not fanatic over DC. Oh yea, in 2000, Michelle already joined DC, replacing former members who left the group and sued Beyonce and her father, who is the manager for the group for some shitty business. Luckily, the lawsuit had settled and everything's fine now. Cruel catfights have ended.

2001 was the year when I turned into a big fan of DC. The release of their 3th album called "Survivor" debuted in the billboard at no.1. The album spawned a string of hits including the already well known "Independent Woman Part 1", "Survivor", "Bootylicious" and "Emotions". I think Rachel would remember the times when I was crazy over them. Among all the tracks, "Survivor" is a very meaningful, inspiring song. I listen to it whenever problems rain on me. I would certainly say that "Survivor" is a classic hit from the DC. Moving on to "Bootylicious", the word itself earned Beyonce a glory of a lifetime. the word was included in the Wesbter Dictionary, alongside with words like bioweapons, etc. "Bootylicious" is one cheeky track to me, but a classy one at the same time. It's sort of a blend of sounds from the Jacksons.

Since I was officially a fan of DC, it was compulsory for me to get their previous album called The Writings on The Wall. Noteworthy tracks were "Bills, Bills, Bills", "Bug-A-Boo", "Jumpin, Jumpin" and "Say My Name". "Say My Name" was one of the biggest hit singles from the DC. You should be embarrassed if you don't know that song that was played in almost every radio station at one point. "Say my name, say my name, if noone is around you..." It was almost unbelievable that that single itself earned the girls a couple of Grammys in the coming year. Their performance during the award show was spectacular, eye-catching and nearly perfect, or flawless.

Then, hiatus started. During this period, Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle launched their solo careers in the music and movie industries separately. Michelle ventured into the genre of gospel, with her debut album hitting #1 in the Billboard Gospel Album chart. Kelly had a successful single with Nelly on "Dilemma", which reached the peak position of the singles chart back in... 2002? whilst appearing as guest stars in a few movies. Their success was incomparable to their unofficial group leader, Beyonce Knowles. Before releasing her highly anticipated album, "Dangerously in Love", she appeared in Austin Powers, and was featured in Jay Z's hot single, "Bonnie & Clyde 03".

Following the rising of her popularity, the release of her first single "Crazy In Love" rapidly became a major hit in the States. I fell in love in that song right away after I downloaded it from the resourceful internet. Anyway, that song was so hot, that it reached no.1 in the Billboard in a short time and stayed at the summit for a few remarkable weeks. Her debut album, featuring hits such as "Crazy in Love", "Baby Boy", "Me, Myself and I" and "Naughty Girl" sold over 9 million copies internationally to date, in which I bought 3 copies of it. Two of them I gave to my friends... they know who they are. I promised Kelly to pass one to her, but I failed. 2003 was definitely the year of Beyonce. She added dozens of awards from numerous music awards. For instance, Best New Artist from the Billboard Awards and Best Female from the MTV VMA Awards 2003. She was also honoured as the Entertainer of the Year by the NAACP.

in 2004, the 3 beautiful ladies returned to the studio to put their hands together to produce a new album as a group. I was so excited over that. Patience was what I needed when I kept on checking on the release date for their album and first single over the net. And everything came quite fast, with their first ever performance of "Lose My Breath" during a sports event. I downloaded that video as fast as I could, and their consistency in their performances carried out the song very well. Not long after, their 4th album, called "Destiny Fulfilled" hit the stores in 4th quarter of the year. Due to street date violations, the album wasn't able to debut at #1. It was forced to settle down at #2 at its highest point. :(. Some said that the album was a disappointment, but I have to disagree with that. I think the album is good, though not excellent.

With "Soldiers", "Cater 2 U", and "Girls" as their popular singles from this particular album, DC announced their break-up that will happen this year, breaking million of hearts, sending tremors to devoted fans over the world. I was stunned when I received the news. This couldn't be happening, I tried to convince myself that it was a mere joke from the girls. It wasn't a dream it was reality. Damn. For now, their "Destiny Fulfilled and Lovin' It" World tour has officially ended; their last show was on the 10th of September in Vancouver, leading to an end to the journey of these 3 multi-talented girls. If I ever have the money, I will definitely get air ticket and fly to the States just to watch them. I bet it's worth all the money.

Apparently, DC plans to release a greatest hits album, followed up by a DVD by the end of the year. Their latest single, and also the final single to be released by the girls at the moment is called "Stand Up For Love". The song will be included as a new song in the greatest hits album. I've downloaded the song... my comments? A classic DC song that I will never get bored with.

All these years, I've been through a lot listening and watching them together as a group. They are very caring, supportive and tolerant to each other. That is what I like about them. Having said that, DC will forever exist in my life, and while all of them pursue their solo careers when DC breaks up, I will still support them, although most of my attention will definitely shift to Beyonce. As people might say, the best is yet to come... so I guess loss is unavoidable in the exploration for something better.

No comments: