Monday, June 2, 2008

MoAE?

Two and a half years ago, I had to decide on the education institution to pursue an undergraduate program. Under the influences of my friends and time, I finally enrolled for a Bachelor Degree in Business and Commerce in Monash University Malaysia. Flashing back, if I had not listened or considered the decisions of my boos, would I have made such decision? Would I have ended up in a different school like Nottingham, Inti or Segi? I think it wouldn't make a difference, actually. Other than peer influences, my decision was also based on the fact that Monash is the only university that offers Econometrics as a major. I do know that a few other courses that also offers quantitative or statistical units/subjects, but being a Math nerd, I was really attracted by the term "econometrics".

At that time, I was really unaware of what it's all about, although the brochure did explain briefly about major. With only a handful of students who are actually doing that major, it's still new. fresh and can be compare to the genuinity of virgin olive oil. When I told my parents about the majors that I'm doing, they had always asked me what was econometrics all about. With my densely developed Mandarin, not until weeks ago I got to realize the right translated term for econometrics.

It's funny that although most of people do well in Math, they are not interested in taking up the major. This was possibly due to their wrong initial impression towards the course. From what I've gathered through conversations with others, they often have the perception that statistics is tough, complicated and intimidating. Frankly, not if one pays close concentration and works a little harder on the coursework and interpretations. Of course, any proves in those statistical equations are pretty damn hard (which I hate to do/remember), but doing well in assignments will sorta guarantee at least a credit for the subject. However, it is true that units under Econometrics are quite lifeless and dry.

As I'm facing my exams which starts on the 9th and ends on the 23rd, I will be completing my Econometrics major this semester, although I have 4 more Accounting subjects to go for the next semester before I graduate. So, wish me luck~

Anyway, I've decided o further my studies after the undergraduate program. A postgraduate program would mean that I would have to take up an honours degree or a masters program. Over the past few weeks, I've been pondering enough and have ended up with a decision. A Masters of Applied Econometrics, for now. That would mean another 1.5 years before I enter the workforce. Hmm, haven't I been studying a little too long? 2 years for Kindergarten, 6 years for Primary, another 5 years for Secondary, a year for Foundation and 3 years for a Bach. Degree, which in all equals to 17 years. Add with another 1.5, it will be close to 20 years, in which means that I have spent/will spend almost 1/3 of my life studying. My parents are very supportive with my decision, so I guess it's the contemporary wisest choice.

1 comment:

Samuel Jack Wong said...

At last, My first comment at here !
My mind still have not fully developed, because I do not even know what is the meaning of econometrics too. Goodness.
Mr Lee, you are brilliant !

See ya after my return.
Bubye

SJ Wong