Monday, December 26, 2005

Films that rocked 2005.

Nothing much have been happening. During Christmas eve, I was lucky to join my netfriends in Bukit Bintang. Being a bad guide, I think the whole outing turned out to be rather boring. However, I'm really grateful because at least I had something to do. After returning home shortly, Phang invited me to go out to Bintang Walk for countdown. it was already about 10 at that time. And obviously, it was a bit too late for me to prepare and to get my transport to go to the heart of the city. So, I turned down the calling. Damn... well, hopefully can meet 'em during New Year Eve instead.

So, I've been watching many movies. This year, I've watched um... 46 movies to date! Wow, a great no. for someone like me who doesn't go to the cinema often. My frequency is somewhere 1-2 times every 3 months. So, what are my top picks this year?

My 10 Favorite Movies This Year


1. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith - A really great sci-fi movie! Although I ain't a die-hard Star Wars fan, I enjoyed this movie a lot. However, the actor who played Anakin needs to attend some intensive acting lessons.

2. Beauty Shop - Queen Latifah pulled it off with an interesting script! I do understand that not many have watched this movie, but the story is just simple and nice. It's something to be watched at home when there's a party going on. A sure shot for the girlfriends.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe(****1/2) - Ok, for a children movie like this, I really enjoyed it actually. The pace at the beginning of the movie was a bit too slow, but it picked up towards the middle, which is great because that's when all the actions started packing in. Susan was such a kelefeh - after practising hardly to master the bow and arrows, she finally shot one arrow at the end of the movie. Wow! Overall, this movie is just entertaining.

4. Chicken Little - Have reviewed enough on this movie a few weeks ago. Oh no, the sky is fallin'. This movie means more to me than anybody else. I'm sure Fantastic Four would be able to get what I'm trying to tell, right? Go Runt! You will survive! Abby... haha...

5. Madagascar(****1/2) - Finally saw that tonight. Was able to catch a glimpse of it during my flight back from Japan, but that was like 15 minutes only. Most animated movies are great, and this one here and a standout in the crowd, and absolutely the best animated movie this year. I like the fact that the movie is just an hour and 30 minutes, just the right portion. And the story keeps going and going, it just attracts me all the time. Time flies, and in no time, one would realize that the movie's already coming to an end!

6. Hitch - Ah, the best romantic flick this year I would say. Great work from Will Smith and Eva Mendez.

7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Seriously, who wouldn't like this... maybe some adults wouldn't, but this movie easily gets the attention of the audiences, regardless of their age and sex. Frankly, I think this is the best HP movie to date.

8. War of the Worlds - Oo, talking about world getting attacked by aliens - a repeated concept that's been used to generate many similar movies to this. Tom Cruise acted well, and Dakota remains as the most annoying girl in movie that I've ever seen. A stellar production.

9. The Exorcism of Emily Rose - Most probably the freakiest movie this year. I downlaoded it, so wasn't exactly getting everything (message) that's been infused into the movie. Wanted to catch it another time in local cinema, but didn't have the time to do so. Besides, some original scenes from the movie might never pass the Malaysia Censorship Board.

10.King Kong(***1/2) - Last but not least, the most anticipated movie this year. Sorry to say, the movie didn't blast me off. It was just ok - aight. The first hour of the movie was almost boring, only a few scenes was able to grab my full attention. The ending was a a bit melancholic, but it was all too short, and it happened too quickly, without much of a suspense. Peter Jackson might have done well with both franshises, King Kong and LOTR, but I still prefer the latter.

Hm... well, all the other movies that I've watched deserve to be mentioned too! Anyway, among the listed movies below, those which are bolded should be a must-watch this year too.

1. 13 Going On 30 (2004)
2. 2046
3. 9 Songs
4. The Amityville Horror
5. House of Wax
6. The Dukes of Hazzard
7. The Pacifier
8. Monster-in-law
9. Just Like Heaven
10. Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride
11. Guess Who
12. Sahara
13. Land of the Dead
14. Kung Fu Hustle
15. Elektra
16. Doom
17. The Perfect Man
18. The Ring Two
19. Serenity
20. Be Cool
21. Flightplan
22. Meet the Fockers (2004)
23. Seven Swords
24. Creep (2004)
25. Initial D
26. One Missed Call
27. Pontianak Harum Sundal Malam
28. The Maid
29. Dead And Breakfast
30. The Red Shoes
31. Not Another Teen Movie (2001)
32. Kingdom of Heaven
33. Elizabethtown
34. The Interpreter
35. Hide and Seek
36. Robots

No comments: